Prepare for your call
IRS call center professionals take great care to make certain that they only discuss your personal information with you or someone you authorize to speak on your behalf. To ensure that you do not have to call back, please have the following documents ready.
If you’re calling about your own account:
Before you call, make sure you know or have the following information handy:
- Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
- Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
- A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
- Any letters or notices we sent you
If you are calling about someone else’s account:
Our call center professionals will only speak with the taxpayer or their legally designated representative.
Before you call, make sure you have the following information handy:
- Verbal or written authorization to discuss the account
- The ability to verify the taxpayer’s name, SSN/ITIN, tax period, form(s)
- PTIN or PIN if you are a third party designee
- A current, completed, and signed Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization or
- A completed and signed Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative
Deceased taxpayer concerns
Be prepared to fax:
- The deceased taxpayer’s death certificate, and
- Either copies of Letters Testamentary approved by the court, or IRS Form 56, Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship (for estate executors)
IRS phone numbers
Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.
People with hearing impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.
Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:
877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)
Estate and gift:
866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time; Forms 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return only)
Excise tax function:
866-699-4096 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time)
If you live outside the United States
Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.
In certain areas, IRS also has local offices you may visit to receive assistance.